The Zizzler

Living THE life on a shoestring budget. Traveling, DIY projects, general fabulousness.......

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Lamp Shirt

This looks like several things I've made before, so I'll make this brief. My friend Jess in San Francisco really liked the lamp I made... but mailing a lamp to Cali is just beyond my means right now. Also, I am lazy. And a terrible shipper. So I decided to just translate it to a shirt. I bought a cream colored tank from H&M ($6) and used the same stencil I'd made for the owl on the lamp. I stitched the fabric owl onto the shirt in painstaking embroidery style. I used one of those wooden sewing hoops to keep the material flat. It needed a little more, so I bought some iron on letters ($2 a sheet) and ironed "WHO" near the collar by the boob. Maybe that is cheesy! But I like it. It still seemed a bit sparse, so I decided it needed the bow. Since I will assume she washes her laundry (you never know!), I sewed a black bow onto a pin back ($3 for a bag of 25) so she can remove it when washing. Or put it wherever she wants on the shirt. Or not at all.
I know, nothing new learned today, but I think the shirt came out great and really does kind of look like the lamp. Oh, and Happy Fourth of July! USA! USA! USA!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cutest shirt ever!!

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home